Twitter Expert Connect Reflection

For my Twitter Expert Connect assignment, I followed ten people. Here is the list: @Wisedad_games, I followed Wisedad Games because he is a video-game developer. I wanted to find out if even small video-game developers deal with issues like Copyright Infringement. @Pex, I followed Pex because Pex is a company that processes videos to spot copyright infringement on different platforms like YouTube. I figured I could get some data collected by the program they use to help me in my Genius Hour project. @copyrightuser, I followed Copyright User because it is a major online resource to document yourself about copyright infringement. I also knew that it was a very reliable source when it comes to copyright infringement. @RespectCreators, I followed Respect Creators because it is a caucus created to protect creators’ rights. In addition, as a caucus, their information is usually more reliable than other sources. @BSANoPiracy, I followed BSA No Piracy for their information about unregistered software. I knew there was a tight connection between unregistered software and copyright infringement so I was hoping to get more information about that. @authorsocieties, I followed Authors Societies because they are a major group fighting for the rights of creators in Europe. I found it important to have a wide range of information so I decided finding information about Europe would be a plus. @Bennetto90, I decided to follow Owen Bennett because he is an internet law and policy consultant. This professional background meant that he had knowledge about my topic, copyright infringement online. @AusAAM, I decided to follow AAM because it is an association that “brings together music managers, providing a peak body to address issues facing managers and their artists.” I thought it would be interesting to ask them questions because of their knowledge of the music industry. I wanted to know if as an association helping artists, had they ever witnessed copyright infringement. @lisa_lovell, I followed Lisa Lovell because she is the CEO of an anti-counterfeiting company. I thought it would be interesting to have a little bit of knowledge about copyright infringement, not just online, but also in real life. As her company fights counterfeiting, I concluded that she had some knowledge in the area. @Create_CC, I followed the Creative Coalition Campaign for their fight against online copyright infringement. It is based in the UK so I also thought that knowing more about copyright infringement in the UK would extend my knowledge.

(Clker)

These people relate to my project because all their knowledge relates to copyright infringement online. When searching for my experts, I was looking at Twitter bios and Tweets to find the people with information I judged most important. The result of this is that all of my experts have knowledge about something I wanted to know about copyright infringement. May it be indirect like the video-game developer, or may it be a direct link like the Creative Coalition Campaign, all of my experts relate to my topic in some way.

(Masur)

I asked them all very specific information. I asked @Wisedad_games if as a video-game developer he had witnessed any copyright infringement, and if not how would he act if one of his works were stolen. I asked @Pex on what platform they saw the most copyright infringement happening, as Pex processes a very large amount of videos all over the internet. I asked @copyrightuser what they thought was the most important copyright conference in the UK or worldwide. I asked @RespectCreators if they thought copyright infringement was getting better, or if it was still a big issue within the creative community. I asked @BSANoPiracy if unregistered software and cases caused by these were very common. I asked @authorsocieties what they thought was the most important reform to be addressed at the EU copyright reform. I asked @Bennetto90 if he thought that Net Neutrality would have a big impact on copyright infringement in the US, and if so why. I asked @AusAAM what they thought was the biggest flaw in our current music industry. I asked @lisa_lovell how her company helps in the fight against counterfeiting. Finally, I asked @Create_CC how copyright infringement was dealt with in the UK, and if the British creative community was greatly affected by it or not.

(Randell)

I asked these questions by staying polite. I first started by saying that I was asking these questions for a school project. I then proceeded to ask the question to my expert. Some good examples are the tweets I sent to @Wisedad_games and @Pex. “Hello, . I am doing a research project on copyright infringement, especially online. I wanted to ask, as a video game developer, have you ever experienced or witnessed your or someone’s work being used without permission? If so, how did you react/feel about it?” This shows the basic structure I talked about. I first introduce the reason why I am asking the question, then proceed to ask the question to the expert. “Hello . I am researching about copyright infringement online for a research project. As Pex processes an incredible amount of videos, on which platform do you think the most copyrighted work is used without permission.” Here again, you can identify the basic structure I use in my questions. Introduce the reason why you are asking the question, and then proceed to ask the question.

(Doctorow)

This information helps me in my Genius Hour project because it all relates to copyright infringement. All the information I was trying to obtain from my experts is information that is useful for my project and is additional information to help me in my project. When selecting my experts, I was also thinking about what information I needed. This helped me select my experts. Therefore, when asking my experts questions, I knew these were questions that were going to be useful to me in my project as I selected my experts to ask these questions.

(Krebs)

The number of answers I got was pretty disappointing. I only got two answers out of ten. @Wisedad_games, and @Pex replied to the questions I asked them. Only @Wisedad_games followed me back on Twitter. I think the major problem in my Twitter Expert Connect assignment is that a lot of my experts were big associations, organizations, or even a caucus. These are less likely to reply than an individual expert. For example, the only person that replied to my Tweet and followed me back is a video-game developer/teacher and not a big organization.

(Public Interest Registry)

The two experts that replied to my question gave me assistance and gave me additional information for my project but did not offer me more assistance than what I had asked for in my question. I did not continue the conversation with them except a reply to each saying thank you for the information they kindly gave me. Even though I did not continue the conversation, I think these two contacts would be useful for future information as they will probably remember me. Building these contacts is useful to continue the conversation in the future even though I did not in the present. Thanks to this project I also developed some skills that are essential to connecting with experts. All of these factors make this project useful for the future.

Clker. “Twitter Tweet Twitter Bird.” Pixabay.com, Pixabay, 4 Aug. 2014, pixabay.com/en/twitter-tweet-twitter-bird-312464/. Accessed 21 Jan. 2017.

Masur. “File:Copyright.svg.” Commons.Wikimedia.org, Wikimedia Commons, 21 Sept. 2012, commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Copyright.svg. Accessed 21 Jan. 2017.

Randell, John. “File:Creative Commons.jpg.” Commons.Wikimedia.org, Wikimedia Commons, 3 Mar. 2010, commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Creative_commons.jpg. Accessed 21 Jan. 2017.

Doctorow, Cory. “Office Despot Copyright Warning, Hollywood, Florida.” Flickr, Yahoo!, 12 Dec. 2004, www.flickr.com/photos/doctorow/2147057. Accessed 21 Jan. 2017.

Krebs, Denise. “Genius Hour.” Flickr, Yahoo!, 18 June 2013, www.flickr.com/photos/mrsdkrebs/9071497283/. Accessed 21 Jan. 2017.

Public Interest Registry. “File:.Org Logo.png.” Commons.Wikimedia.org, Wikimedia Commons, 17 Oct. 2012, commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:.org_logo.png. Accessed 21 Jan. 2017.